Total Pageviews

Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

Halloween is a funny time of year isn't it?  I can't say I actually get it!  I mean, I really don't know the logic behind any of the festivities.
One thing I do know though, is that Lutaaya has found it even more baffling than I do.

Over the past few weeks, even walking into the supermarket has been a little scary for my little girl.  The aisles have been stocked with costumes resembling witches, ghosts and basically any horrible, ghoulish thing imaginable.

The thing is, in Uganda, witches are VERY real.  Witchcraft is around on a daily basis.  Witches prescribe unimaginable medical advice to people in Uganda and have a huge influence on many peoples' lives.

To walk into a store and see the witches and then think that this is being celebrated rather than condoned, must be very confusing to a little girl who hasn't been home a year.  So, when asked if she wanted to join in and go trick or treating, and do some other crafty things, the answer has always been 'NO!'

Then, her friends start doing just that!  They start taking this all in a light hearted way and they want Lutaaya to join in.  So mad dash to the supermarket yesterday to quickly buy an outfit so she actually could take part, and a few hours later, we have a change of heart and a little girl who is happy to play the part of a good witch, along with her friends.


And tonight, we made it extra special by inviting a couple of her friends around to do some other things.  I don't know why we do the ducking apples thing on Halloween, feel free to enlighten me if you know, but why not join in when it's so much fun?!  Oh my, how competitive these girls are to get the goodies at the bottom of the bowl!




Gypsy wanted in on the action too!  Oh how this cat LOVES apples!
Our Grampa quoted, 'in all of my 76 years, I don't think I've ever had to do this!'  So you know, it was a new experience for us all!  Big thanks to Gramp for his beautiful carving of the pumpkin, getting Lutaaya's design just perfect.

We also tried out a crafty snack, thanks to Bethany Gaddis for sharing on her facebook page for the idea.  Check out our gruesome mouths!

1 comment:

  1. Nathan doesn't get the point of it either. He is dressing as a prince - but asked me why we needed to go beg for candy when we had two bags at home (that were for the trick-or-treaters. It's a funny holiday, indeed. ;) I will post pictures to my blog of my prince in the next day or two. - Tammy

    ReplyDelete