Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Photo memories

When we arrived at my Grandparents house for tea today, my Nan had an old photo album waiting, to show Lutaaya what I looked like when I was little.  Lutaaya loved this!  She spent ages, debating over the people she could see in the photos were the actual people she now sees every day.  She could understand that I was a baby once and a little girl and accepted that I looked differently, but seeing my parents in their younger years made her laugh.  She couldn't believe Grandad had hair over his lip, (a moustache) and Jjajja had different hair to what she has now.  Lutaaya loved cherishing the memories of my childhood.

Here she is, studying the old photographs with her Grandparents, and pointing out how different they look today.
 And this is what she found so interesting!
Mammy as a baby

Mammy on St David's Day at school.  Little does she know that 1st March, her school will look very similar to this with everyone in their Welsh traditional costume!  And for those of you trying to work out which one I am, I'm second in from the left, top line.


I forget how precious little things, like an old photograph are.  How they can bring memories flooding back.  I am fortunate to have a lot of photos of Lutaaya from her being around 3-4years old, from my trips to Uganda and links with other people who have visited the home she is from in the past to the present day.  Unfortunately, we will never have the baby photo to put up proudly on the wall, or the toddler photos.  We won't have any memories of first steps or first words.

It is sad to think of this, but it isn't all sadness, as what we have now are opportunities to create new memories.  We have been trying to do the things that maybe Lutaaya missed out on, or the things she never had anyone to share the joy with.  So rather than dwell on the negatives, we look forward to the photo album Lutaaya is creating, of all her own special memories since she came home.

2 comments:

  1. did you adopt through holt? I love your story of adopting her!
    I met her when I was there for the first time in 2008!! And I loved her she is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found our blog when you actually know my daughter. I didn't adopt through Holt as they don't work in the UK. Due to my involvement with the charity, I was able to do an independent adoption. They don't often allow this and now advocate American adoptions through Holt.
    Keep reading as we'll keep the stories coming

    ReplyDelete