Total Pageviews

Friday, November 26, 2010

Bowled over!

We had a very long morning!  Spent most of the day trying to get the intermet to work so we can keep in touch with reality.  The world could be at war and we seriously would never know! A funny moment happend this morning!  I'm sat on the settee trying to get on the net, two men, business men who come eacg day to use the facilities at the guest house for their meetings, are sitting to the side of me, using the computer.  Next thing, they sigh, as my internet connection goes completely.  No power!  Or so they say!  They play around with the blank computer in front of them and come to the conclusion that yes indeed the power is off.  As I turn to say this to Lutaaya Deborah, I find her watching TV.  In fact, watching  High School Musical no less!  A big smile on her face as she then gets up and turns on the light switch.  Proof for us all that the problem is with the computer not the power!  What a clever girl to suss all that out and watch TV!  Silly adults making assumptions!


Our highlight of the day today, meeting our friends, Nathan, Bethany and little Jaydn.  We headed to town early in  the hope of doing some shopping.  Thinking positively we had eaten ourselves out of all the essentials, thinking we'd be home this weekend.  So a shop was needed on snacks and drinks.  So off to the supermarket we go.  Looking at the apples, a man approaches us.  he's the same man who appraoched us when Mam was here, one night in the car park.  The same plea came - begging!  But in the supermarket!  I asked him to kindly leave!  Next thing he greets another African man.  We walk away and try to tell one of the shop assisstants that maybe this man shouldn't be in the store.  His reply, 'I SEE NOTHING.'  I wonder how many things happen out here and that is the response each and every time.  So giving up hope of help in store, we continued our shop, moving away from the two men who made me feel slightly uneasy.  Next thing, the other man approaches us.  He asks if the man was bothering us and tries to explain that he meant no harm.  The first time I have ever felt vulnerable in Uganda, but I had a strong sense that he was going to try and pull my bag.  So I firmly tell him we are shopping and for him to leave us.  He does, but still I feel unsettled.  It felt as though their eyes were on us and watching us.  My fear was that he had seen me use the ATM earlier and knew there was money in my bag!  I tried to convince myself I was thinking bad of him and continued to shop, all the time hoping Nathan and Bethany would be outside the supermarket when we finished.  They weren't long arriving, and still the man hung around, watching! 

So on with our plan.  And didn't my little girl have an amazing day!  She absolutely loved bowling!  Only in Africa can you not be given bolwing shoes but instead told to go bear foot, and then be told the screens don't work.  So there was no score, no competition.  Lutaaya Deborah got the jist of the game though and loved laughing at out attempts to knock all the skittles down.  She gets louder when she gets excited.  Being in an institution for as long as she had been, she will continue to find regulating and verbalising her emotions a challenge.  She will have to be re-taught how feelings and behaviours link and what impact they have on her and the people around her.  She is yet to say how she feels.  I'm fine is a basic answer regardless to how she really feels.  She is now able to describe something as good or bad but thats as far as it goes.  Bowling certainly had a good remark and she went home bouncing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment