Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Frustrations & Giggles

I spent the morning feeling really frustrated.  I tried logging on to track the visa and the tracker had crashed!  So I thought I'd ring the visa office and ask if they could update me.  She tells me it's not on their system and to keep checking the internet tracker!!!  Did she not hear me when I said it was broken???  So back on the phone to the High Commission!  Same response, nothing on the system so no update!  Hopefully no news is good news.

So we waited around the guest house all day.  We try and spend a little time each day doing 'school work'.  On an academic level, Lutaaya Deborah is roughly of the ability of a 4-5 year old.  She has a basic knowledge, but most things in Ugandan schools are memorised in order, rather than learned.  This means we have to try and re-educate her in a new way of doing things.  Some times she enjoys the work but on other times, when she struggles, she looks sad and wants to give up.  Being stuck here, with limuted resources, means that the tasks are becoming tedious for both of us, so trying to make them as fun as possible is essential for both of us.

After school time, I tend to let Lutaaya Deborah watch some TV.  As we did this today, John, the one staff member at the guest house, walked into the sitting room.  He looked like he was prepared to do some very dangerous work!  He had plastic safety goggles on and huge big safety gloves.  What can he be about to do in our sweet little guest house?  So I ask!  I cannot help but laugh hysterically at his answer as I did believe he was joking!  Change a light bulb in the bathroom was his reply!  All this for a lightbulb!  he was deadly serious and didn't see the funny side at all.  So I told him he looked very professional and he walked off with an air of pride about him.

I had another frustrating moment when I went to the solicitors to collect the official paperwork.  Firstly the solicitor refused to answer his phone and secondly when I arrived there, the paperwork was not ready!  They've had 4 days and it's still not ready!  Unbelievable!  So a wasted journey! 

It's odd here as there is so little to do during the days, the most ordinary things become highly important.  I mean, today I scheduled an hour out of the day just to shower!  No matter how many times you wash here, as soon as you step in the shower, the brown/red dust slides off your skin.  Can't wait to get home and know that when you've washed, you really are clean. 

Our main schedule of the day today - meet the Gaddis family for supper again!  So before we meet them, we make another journey to the solicitors to FINALLY collect the paperwork we need to make everything official.  Woohoo we have it!

So off to the Golf Course Hotel for supper.  It's lovely to have the Gaddis family here to share time with.  It's nice to have a change of conversation.  Tonight I really felt for them though.  They are feeling the frustrations that I felt when we first had the guardianship.  You have a YES but you have nothing on paper to prove you have that YES!  They have the added stress of knowing its Thanksgiving tomorrow and they'll be stranded in Uganda, with no progress and the rest of their family at home.  It must be lovely to see this whole process through the eyes of our children, as we carry all the trials and tribulations, while they play, care free with each other.  They must find it strange when they see us on these 'downers'.  I hope they feel our faith that we have the knowledge, we will be moving from here soon and making way to their forever homes.

We even treated ourselves to hot chocolate and coffee tonight just to try and brighten the mood before parting company.  Then homewardbound in the taxi.  This proved another giggle.  Once we've dropped Nathan, Bethany and Jaydn home, I tend to go into auto-pilot on directions for the driver.  Lutaaya Deborah laughs as she prompts me with pointing gestures to the way we need to turn.  So I do the drill, 'turn right here please.  Pass the hospital.  Turn left here please.  Pass the embassy, then we turn right up here.  It's the big grey gate in front.  If you beep, they'll open the gate and you can turn your car inside.'  So we've reached our guest house.  We're almost home.  And we sit.  The driver turns off his engine and waits.  Maybe he didn't hear me?  So I repeat the last instruction.  I get a nod.  Still no beep.  No one will let us in at this rate!  Lutaaya giggles in the back as she makes the funniest facial expressions as if to say why isn't he listening.  Eventually he turns to me and says, 'I hoot?'  Yes you hoot!  There's the problem.  He doesn't understand BEEP!

It's a little late when we get in but I feel the urge to check the internet.  Being so busy back and fore the solicitors all day, we hadn't had chance earlier.  And there, on my screen, is the news we need!  VISA granted for 2 years, so that the adoption process can be completed in the UK!  Unfortunately this isn't official, just the kind lady at the Welsh Assembly, copying us in on the mails.  Although I accept it as positive news and a step in the right direction.  At least we know the paperwork is coming.  We just need patience for it to reach us in the Kampala office, as the Ethiopia office have it currently.  So please join us in praying for a speedy return of this visa.  As soon as we have it in our hands, we will be booking that flight and heading back to Welsh soil!

No comments:

Post a Comment